Surprise your child with a small note posted to their bathroom mirror, at their height, saying things like, "I believe in you" or "I see how hard you are working" or even, "You rock!"
- Practice listening to your kids; don't give advice, give validation.
- Don't go over the top, they know when you are exaggerating.
- Mean what you say and say what you mean. If you say that you can see how hard they are working, don't pick them apart when they make a mistake or don't do as well as they hoped.
- After the event, add a "high five" or "congrats" note to the mirror. Even if your child lost or struggled to meet their goals, recognize what they did do and encourage them to continue.
- That night, add a Hershey's kiss and a note on their pillow telling them that you love them. Silly, but effective.
Your report is awesome...don't forget to speak loudly so the whole class can hear!
Work hard today! It will pay off
We are so proud of you for working so hard on your mission report
You'll nail your baseball game today!
You've studied hard and are ready for your social studies test
Your effort and hard work will be worth it!