So change things up.
Read the book BEFORE you see the movie.
- If you have a favorite story, that has been made into a movie, grab the book first and share it with your kids.
- If your child suggests that a movie sounds like something that they would like to see, capitalize on their interest & get the book first and read it together.
- After reading and discussing the book, watch the movie.
- Ask your kids to point out similarities and differences between the two.
- Encourage your kids to vote on which they prefer; book or movie. And discuss why they made the choice they did.
- Don't restrict yourself to recently made movies. There are tons of older movies, based on books, that will thrill your children.